Monday, September 21, 2009

why packing is like the hokey pokey

so, it turns out that shoving 7 months of stuff into 2 suitcases isn't as easy as I'd hoped.  When I've taken big trips in the past, I've done so with a backpack and the idea of laundromats.  This time I need to bring both fall / spring clothes and winter clothes - and medicine, and for some reason a pillow and sheet set (that sheet set might have to go though - it was only 9 dollars, but it's kinda bulky).  When I practiced this packing exercise on Friday I came pretty close to getting everything into 1 bag.  Well, add in a Katchina and storyteller and 11 dream catchers, my pillow, a sheet set and a crap ton of survival food (I have a really bad habit of getting over hungry and then sick) and it now barely fits into 2 suitcases.  Not to mention that I still haven't figured out a way to get my laptop and blanket into my carry on bag (technically Razu counts as my carry on, so it has to be a small bag).  Oh and my purse - I have to pack my purse.  And the items currently in the laundry -- can't not have jeans to wear ... AHHHHHHH!!!!!

So, here is why packing is like the hokey pokey:
You put all your stuff in
You take all your stuff out
You put all your stuff back in
And you smash it all about

You try to close the zippers
And pull it all back out
And that's what it's all about
Hey!

You put more stuff in
You take some stuff out 
You put even more stuff back in 
And then you swear and scream aloud

You try to close the zippers
And then abandon several items
And that's what it's all about 
Hey!

That UPS flat rate box is looking more attractive every minute ...

No comments:

Post a Comment