Tuesday, September 1, 2009

12 hours on the road for 15 minutes and a VISA!

Today my mom and I drove to L.A. and back - which was rather torturous - but (!) my visa is being processed!!!!!!!  I should receive it and my passport back within 7 - 10 days!  

The appointment only took 15 minutes - 5 of which were spent at the counter.  But it was worth it, everything was correct (except for my picture, which was a little too small - but Thierry behind the counter assured me he could "vork with it") and I'm all set.  Once I get it back I'm good to go.  We did sneak in 30 minutes at the beach and a quick lunch in Santa Monica, but it was really just 12 hours for one 15 minute appointment at the consulate.

Things are finally starting to fall in place.  I feel like I've spent all summer preparing for these final weeks - and now I actually have to get everything done.  Razu has his final vet appointment tomorrow - so all his paperwork will be done and he'll be ready to go.  I received a certified copy of my birth certificate during the time I was in the midwest.  I have to quick figure out my prescriptions and have a check up with the doctor before Friday (when my health insurance expires) as well as start gathering all the things I'll need.  

I'm quickly running out of time, since I will spend a good part of next week in California visiting grad schools, seeing Kimmie and sneaking in some beach time (hopefully).  I spent all of last week trekking around the midwest - which was an absolutely fabulous time, and I  was so happy to see my family before I leave.  (Although, those goodbyes were really a challenge - because it wasn't just a goodbye to the visit, but also the last time I'll see them before heading off to France.)

Tomorrow is going to be a full day of vet's appointments, calling doctors, writing to professors and quick planning a little something for my birthday on Friday.  

For a summer of no work and no big travels, this sure has been a busy time!


No comments:

Post a Comment