Friday, September 18, 2009

4 days to go and feeling the love

As my handy little countdown at the bottom of the page informs me - there are officially 4 days left before I hop across that big ole pond.  My list of things to do is dwindling - and I'm starting the big goodbyes.  Last night was my final night with Simply Servers - it was a bitch of an event (read: most of my muscles hurt like hell today) - but it was also my last!  I really loved that job, and I will miss it - but I'm happy to be done.  

Tonight my wonderful friends are gathering to give me a big sendoff of Americana.  We are meeting at Heart Attack Grill and then heading to Christina's adorable cottage to drink cheap champagne.  It was planned for me by my wonderful friends Paul and Troy and I couldn't be more excited!  This is the first party I've ever had thrown in my honor.  Before Paul informed me of the good news, I was worried that I wouldn't get to see everyone before I left - but my friends are such wonderful people and planned this for me.  I'm definitely feeling the love on this one!

I've received so many supportive e-mails and notes - and it makes me feel so wonderful.  My dad's sisters and mom will be keeping a candle burning for me for the duration of my trip - which is such a touching and thoughtful thing.  I feel all the more connected to it because during my first trip to Europe I lit a candle for my Grandpa in every church - it is such a moving and powerful experience and I feel so loved and cared for knowing that I'll have one burning for me.

My mom's parents continue to send me funny jokes on a regular basis - and I know that they will worry about me continually.  

One big thing - and one that gives me a lot of peace - is our family friend Silvia.  Silvia lives in Austria and she, along with her husband Peter, met my parents randomly in an airport.  They have stayed in contact ever since - exchanging gifts and e-mails.  Well, Silvia has offered - no, insisted - that I come and stay with her.  But in her last e-mail she also said, "Dear Marie, please tell Anna she should call us if she has any troubles! We will try EVERYTHING to help her!!!" It's nice to know that she is there for me.  I've never met her, but she is just like family.

And, in a final bit of good news - I've been having some luck with my apartment search.  I've been e-mailing various listings during this week and have an appointment set up to see an apartment on September 23rd at 5pm.  The woman that I have been in contact with has been especially friendly and nice.  She knows that I'm American, she's ok with the cat and she understands the situation -- and she still wants to rent to us!  If the place is decent I'm taking it!  

4 days to go!!!  It's adventure time!

No comments:

Post a Comment