Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 3 - The skies may be grey, but all I see is blue!

Yesterday was an absolutely fantastic day.  We had our language assistants orientation which included all language assistants from all of the Orléans-Tours region.  The orientation itself wasn’t super useful - although we did get a nice presentation on our region (we make wine and cheese and grow a lot of wheat) but we did get a chance to meet all the other assistants.  We got a lovely tour of Orléans, which was in French (i.e. I learned a lot, but probably won’t be able to repeat it) in a group of about 10.  In my super cool group there were two N. Irishmen, a Canadian, 3 Americans and a handful of British people.  Well the Canadian is just the sweetest person in the world and the two Irishmen were absolutely hillarious.  After the orientation we went out to a bar in a group of about 20 or so.  I got to meet all kinds of people - several of whom live in Orléans itself!  We stayed out until about midnight and got to meet some German language assistants as well as some random French people.  I got to practice my French - and it’s improved!  I can now carry on a very broken, but understandable conversation!  AMAZING!  A man from Madagascar told Danielle and I about something going on in Paris tonight - people are going to stay up all night to look at contemporary art from around the world.  It sounds really interesting, but I think I’m going to pass because one of the assistants is throwing a party tonight in her flat.  I think it’s more important for me to meet the other people living in my town than go to a giant First Friday - but that’s just my opinion.  


I am just loving being here and meeting people.  I haven’t met many French people yet, but that will come.  I’m planning on joining some clubs and taking some cooking classes -- so maybe I’ll meet them there.  I also want to join an outdoor club, because they are always going on adventures and it’s a great way to meet the locals!


Orléans is just amazing!  I’m on a big adventure and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment