Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 14 - The true joy of France and the surprising joy of teaching

So - I have a cold. A rather mild one, but the kind that makes you lose your voice if you talk too much. And since I’m a teacher now - surprise surprise - I have no voice. Well, I’m not a real teacher, but I do have 12 different classes to keep track of (all at different levels, might I add) and they all call me “Madame” which just makes it all the more official. Although, they only use Madame when they want something or when they think they might be in trouble. My favorite thing that they say is, “euh, Madame, may I go to zee, euh, toilettes? euh, please?” I don’t know why, but I just love this phrase! Especially because they always say toilettes the french way (like, twa-let). The other thing that I just love about teaching is that the kids crack me up! They say the funniest things! For example: Today I met a new class for the first time, I think they were Terminal - which equals our high school seniors, and I got asked on a date by 4 guys at once! HA! This is the first time that this has happened (believe it or not!). So they are all asking me questions ... well, a better way to put it would be that the extreme silence was occasionally punctuated with a half mumbled question ... anyway, so one guy asks me, “did you go to the Paris?” which translates to, “have you ever been to Paris?” Which I answer, “I visited Paris 4 years ago, but I have not been since being here.” Immediately 4 guys go, “euh, would you go le weekend?” translation, “um, would you like to come with me this weekend?” It was SO SMOOTH! I tried my best to stifle a laugh, but I failed. So funny! They are harmless, of course, I just thought it was so brave to ask a new teacher on a date! Oh the French.

Anyway, so I have a cold... and to make myself feel better I made homemade vegetable soup yesterday. There were a ton of leftovers, so on the way home tonight I stopped and bought a fresh baguette. All I can say is, wow! French bread, really and truly, is the very best thing. I was so hungry when I got home that I tore a piece off while waiting for the microwave - simply phenomenal. I don’t know what it is, but the bread here just tastes amazing! I had forgotten that. Danielle and I have been buying baguettes at the grocery store, and they’re good, but this one was just amazing. Needless to say, there’s less than a third of the loaf left. And I’m thinking of going and eating the rest before it gets cold... French bread, as of right now, officially rounds out my top 5 favorite foods. The list goes like this: 1. Roast Chicken; 2. Moules frittes; 3. Enchiladas; 4. Mom’s spaghetti; 5. Real, Fresh, French Bread

Also, more exciting news ... I successfully taught 4 classes on my own! The first class of the day was conducted in the hallway - apparently the key that I was given doesn’t work on the room I was assigned, but we made the best of it. I think the students thought I was crazy, but that’s just a bit of the American way for them - don’t waste time, make the best of the situation. After we finally were let in - by a janitor who lectured me on the not having a key (she ate her words though after I pulled out my key and demonstrated that it wasn’t my fault - then she simply told me to get a key before next time) - we had a lovely time with some very educational games. The next class was the same age and went much better (mostly because we didn’t have to sit in the hallway). I played a game where the kids had to describe a picture that I gave them while I tried to draw it on the board. Funniest thing! One group had a man sitting on a bed - so at first they told me that the man was on the bed - so I drew him standing up. Then they told me that I was wrong and that he was lying on the bed. But that was wrong too. Finally one student goes, he is half on the bed and half off the bed -- so my little stick figure got to be half on the bed and half off the bed. Then -- and this is the funniest -- a girl goes, “no madame, ees head is on the back of the bed” --- that poor man! (for those of you playing along at home: he was sitting on the bed, leaning against the headrest) My last two classes of the day were with my youngest group - their level of English is surprisingly good (though they are hesitant to speak, well, English at least- they say a whole lot in French) and they are really enthusiastic. We played a game kinda like musical chairs, except you have to make a statement describing people in the room and if they statement applies to you then you have to stand up and change chairs. The last person left standing has to make a new statement. For example, you could say, “I know someone who is wearing blue jeans,” and then 7/8th of the class gets up and scrambles for a new seat. This game was hilarious! One student, who was going for the same chair as me actually sat on me! And then she jumped up and goes, “désolee madame!” So cute! Another student shoved me and then promptly apologized and offered me her chair! I love it!

Tomorrow I get to meet 3 new classes, which is always exciting. Although, when I meet these groups they ask so many things. It’s exhausting to think so much about obscure things that I like. I have never answered so many random questions in my life as I have in the past two weeks! The things the kids ask me just crack me up --the younger ones especially, they will ask you anything! I’ve been asked about more movies, TV shows, bands and all around pop culture than you can shake a stick at! They are especially curious about what TV shows I like to watch. A lot of American shows are dubbed into French and broadcast about 3 years behind -- the most popular seem to be Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, Bones, NCIS and CSI. Unfortunately for the kids, I only watch CSI. They always look so sad when I tell them I don’t watch Prison Break (is it even on in the US anymore?) and “Desperate” as they call it. The answer I usually get is, “you not like Eva Longoria? She, euh, loves Tony Parker ... he ees French!” which means, “don’t you like Eva Longoria? She is married to Tony Parker who is French.” To which I always respond, “I like Eva, but I especially love the French!”

And, in case you were wondering: Yes. I am the most ridiculous teacher ever.

oh! and P.S. today while getting a hot chocolate and an apricot croissant I was complimented on my accent! Amazing! I may not be able to say much, but I least I sound good!

1 comment:

  1. haha i know what you mean I have never in my life introduced myself so many times. And explained my country. a milllion times. I had to wiki things about Canada just so I wouldn't sound stupid if they asked questions, which of course they did.

    ReplyDelete