Tuesday, February 2, 2010

crawling toward the holidays - 1 lesson at a time

My next vacation starts on Friday. It's Tuesday ... and it seems 1 million miles away. France really spoils you, I've been working for 4 weeks, 12 hours a week, and all I can do is think about when I get to relax. It's not like the job is super stressful, most of the time it's a blast (sometimes it's so torturous that I want to shoot my own foot, but mostly it's good) but I've reached that point where little things are irritating me. Yes, I'm a cultural ambassador and yes, I'm very nice (sometimes to a fault) but I'm getting a bit tired of playing the smile and nod game when I really just want to say something snarky. I think it's the middle of winter phenomenon - we all miss the sunshine (me especially).

Yesterday I had a semi philisophical conversation with a teacher about why smiling makes you feel better. This is the fellow who is clearly bitter that I no longer work with his class - and he takes every opportunity to make it clear to me (I liked his class - the change was out of my control). So, yesterday morning he comes up to me and says, "How are your students?" I smile and say,"They're great, thanks!" And start to hedge toward the door,because I know what's coming next. "It's so brave of you to keep smiling and being positive when faced with such terrible students who just don't care." Now, tell me, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SAY?!? I like these students, they aren't terrible and they are very bright. Sure, their english isn't perfection, but they try and they smile and they really make an attempt. So I respond, "oh, thanks. But I really enjoy teaching all my students." Response, in a dry sarcastic tone: "I think you are really courageous." At this point I'm sick of it - I'm sick of the way French students are classified, I'm sick of people mocking me for being upbeat and I'm sick of people putting everyone else down just because they are what they are. So I said, "well, you know, I just start with a smile and if they smile then we go from there. All I can ask is that my students try.'" The conversation then proceeds to, in essence, comment on my amazing ability to hide my feelings and force myself to smile, which, apparently, is a difficult task. Le sigh. Sometimes, I just don't get it.

Also, I have a cold that won't quit. Which has been providing ample opportunity to receive every form of advice known to mankind. Apparently, I should sleep with my socks on, chew hard candy, drink more tea, wear a scarf all the time, rest more, cover my mouth when outside, take cough syrup, don't take cough syrup and most importantly keep coming to work and take a week off to rest up (and go to the doctor to get the note to allow me to do this). Mostly though, I think the teachers would like for me to stop coughing in the staff room - today 4 different teachers commented on it (not sympathetically either). Ah, being sick, such a joy.

In better, non-bitchy news: My friend Christina is amazing! She's into the next round of the Fulbright competition and a member of Eye Lounge gallery in Phoenix. I am so proud of her! You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment