Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My students are adorable

So, it's been a while... but I have been so busy recently. My parents came for the Christmas vacation - and the trip was absolutely amazing! I plan to write a lot more about it, but there are so many great pictures that they have to be included - so that'll be for another day.

What I want to tell you today is about how much I adore my students. Monday was back to work, which meant a new schedule and some new classes. I have 4 brand new groups and 13 classes total (but I only see 12 per week). I had two of the new groups yesterday and they were great, very shy, but very nice and enthusiastic (which is all you can ever ask for).

Today I had four classes and I worked with all of them last semester. I adore all of these groups. Tuesday is my longest day, but by far my favorite, I have other groups that I adore (to be honest, I really only have one class that I don't like) but Tuesdays always go well.

So today, during my first class a student comes up to me and hands me a note - she is just the sweetest (when I first got here she gave me a great tour of the city) and the note just made me grin from ear to ear. I won't share it out of respect for her, but needless to say, it just made my day.

After that I had another class and the lesson went great, I finished 2 minutes early, and since it was right before lunch I told them they could go early. Usually when this happens students go running for the door (2 minutes of freedom is a lot when you only get 5 to change classes) and instead they all begged to stay with me! Talk about amazing! Then they told me that they are all working together to give me a late Christmas gift and asked what kind of chocolate I like most. So amazing. I just love these kids.

Then, for my third class of the day, I had a volunteer student! Before class a student comes up and asks if he can sit in on the class. I say of course (enthusiasm? sign me up!) and he participates all the way through, gets other kids talking - it was great! After class he asks if he can come every B week because he really loves learning english. My answer? "Absolutely!" So sweet!

I've got one more group to go, and they always make me smile. Let's hope this stays as the best Tuesday ever. I just love these kids and I feel very lucky to have such great students!

2 comments:

  1. Anna! That is so great. My fiance is a teacher at a low-income charter school and it pains him that most of his students just don't care. I bet teaching is wonderful when the kids are excited. You must be a great teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Celeste! It is fun when they are excited, but there are just as many days when I feel like I'm talking to myself in a sea of blank, French faces. I feel for Jo - I can't imagine how crappy it is when you know they understand the language and still don't give a crap - I at least get to tell myself that they "lack the vocabulary to respond."
    I've been reading the wedding blog with excitement! I'm so excited for you guys and wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete