Friday, August 14, 2009

In pursuit of a roof

I have been warned time and time again that finding housing is going to be the most stressful thing about this process.   The idea of showing up in a foreign country with nowhere to live is really intimidating, but it's also exhilarating.  Admittedly though, I do spend a lot of time worrying about it.

(I will have a place to stay once I get there, so I don't really worry about that.  My contact person has told me - twice now - that "Of course, we can find a spare cupboard for you for a couple of weeks if need be" and that "we can always find a temporary solution for you and your furry friend, so don't worry" ... I just hope they don't literally put me and Razu in a cupboard, you never know about French humor ...)

I've mentioned it before, but the only option I have is finding an apartment (because of my darling cat).  As I was looking into studios I decided that I really didn't want to live alone.  So I put myself out there and found another assistant who wants to find an apartment with me!  We've spent some time talking over the phone and e-mailing back and forth - and I'm really excited to live with her!  She is very nice and loves traveling and speaks great French (which matters a lot to me, since mine is so rusty).  

And even though it's mostly terrifying, I absolutely love looking at pictures and reading descriptions of these places!  They all sound so different, and there are amenities I've never heard of - like a "clic clac" which, apparently, is like a futon, or the illustrious "cave".  Which, I've decided is a "cave à vin" or a nice place to keep your wine.  Apparently wordreference.com kind of agrees with me, since it lists it as a room under the house - like a cellar ... a french cellar (which translates to, in my head, a place to keep your wine and fresh cheese and root vegetables) like this:  

or this:

(Ha!  I wish!)
I'm sure none of them are that fun, but in my head that's what I see every time!

In reality though, some of them are adorable.  For example, this darling place "Appartement 3 pièces 67 M²," which describes itself as:
 
"Orléans Résidence Le VauquoisBel appartement de type F3 refait à neuf comprenant entrée avec placard, cuisine aménagée et équipée, séjour/salon avec balcon, deux chambres, salle de douche, cave et parking s/sol.
Ref. Agence : 0021 Loyer charges comprises Honoraires TTC en sus : 682"

Translation:
 "Orléans residence le Vauquois.  Beautiful newly redone F3 apartment (this means one living room and 2 bedrooms) comprising an entrance hallway with cupboards, furnished and equipped kitchen, living room with balcony, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, cave and underground (I think) parking.  Rent charges include utilities and the agency fees are 682 euros.  

Rent is 770 euro a month (not bad considering utilities are included!).  And look at this place (so pretty!):

living room: (just look at those windows!)
kitchen: (gas range!)
I'm sure this place will be all snapped up by the time we get there, but it gives me great hope for the adorable place we will inevitably find!

2 comments:

  1. Anna, I think you will be golden ... after all, it can't be as bad as our housing in Italia! Don't get stuck in an elevator :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Celeste! I certainly hope so! And I'm avoiding elevators the minute I step foot in Europe!

    ReplyDelete